Tuesday, March 15, 2011

It's spring and a young man's fancy turns to...

Baseball!!

Baseball taught me what I need to survive in the world. The game has given the patience to learn and succeed. As much as I was known for my homers, I was also known for my strikeouts. The strikeout is the ultimate failure. I struck out 1,936 times. But I'm proud of my strikeouts, for a feel that to succeed one must first fail; the more you fail the more you learn about succeeding. The person who has never tried and failed will never succeed. Each time I walked away from the plate after a strikeout, I learned something, whether it was about my swing, not seeing the ball, the pitcher, or the weather conditions, I learned something. My success is the product of the knowledge extracted from my failures.
Willie Stargell (Hall of Famer)

Don't fear making mistakes on the journey into loving your neighbours. Every now and then you get to hit one out of the park, and it feels so good!

We were recently asked by a local principal to help provide some care and nutrition to some students challenged by tough family dynamics. Last Friday as I brought some fruits and other goodies into the classroom one of the kids (who I know personally) said, 'You look like Santa!'

(Because of my beard!)

To which the teacher responded, 'He is like Santa bringing us these treats!'

No comments:

Post a Comment